Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Best Agatha Christie Books



On recently completing the 25th post of my blog, I thought of doing something special. Since Dame Christie is probably the most popular author in the Mystery Genre and the most popular on my blog, I decided to do a double treat a best of Agatha Christie from all her books and another Best of Hercule Poirot. later on I will do a best of Miss Marple because I'm still to go through a few Marple's. So lets start with the best Agatha Christie books.

Top 5 Agatha Christie Books:



No. 5

 

Death on the Nile - A couple are on their honeymoon on the beautiful and legendary river Nile. What follows is not romance but a string of murders which leaves everyone aboard the cruise ships as suspects in the eye of the eccentric Belgian Detective Hercule Poirot. I thought the book ended on a sad note but this is an excellent mystery. I'm not using the book cover here but the movie cover starring Peter Ustinov because I loved the movie and thought that Peter Ustinov did a great job.

No.4

The Crooked House



An absolute intriguing read. I read the whole book in one day! no doubt people refer to this one as one of her best novels. I was not able to work this one out, why don't you give it a try too. This one is a non series no Poirot or Marple.


No.3



Murder on the Orient Express - Adopted countless times for television and the big screen, but nothing can beat the original. A murder in a train full of suspects, Poirot uses his little Grey cells to solve his most famous crime. Deducing the murderer is impossible, but if you did you must be Agatha Christie incarnate.

No.2

Endless Night - nothing like a regular Christie novel. The novel is so atypical that few people don't consider it a mystery novel. It's perhaps her most unique and interesting work with an ending that will send chills down your spine.

No.1


And then there were none - can there be any other? I'm still not convinced there is a better book then this. Judas Window comes very close though. If anyone from my friends or family ask me for a book suggestion take one guess what my suggestion is, It's Christie's Masterpiece. It has everything and more; a twist ending, a malevolent, sinister island, a superlative mystery and a group of people just waiting to implode.

Please leave a comment if you agree or disagree. I still have a few Christie books to go but I doubt if I would revise the list. I will do a Poirot best 5 in another post.

22 comments:

  1. And Then There Were None is certainly her masterpiece. Despite repeated readings, it still gives me the thrills. BTW, I loved Death on the Nile movie too esp as it starred one of my favourite actors, I.S. Johar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that book and yes I totally agree,Mr Johar was one of the best comedians in the Hindi film industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. u must read death comes as the end.....the very best of agatha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read that, thanks for the suggestion will take that up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've added this post to the Agatha Christie Reading Challenge Blog Carnival- will be published on Feb 24 at http://acrccarnival.blogspot.com/
    About to read DEATH COMES AT THE END myself

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Kerrie :) will read your review when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for reviewing 5 of Agatha Christie Novels. I have read a few but none from this list. Now you have arouse my curiosity. Gonna finish these books soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks debashish, I'm sure you will like them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog and can't wait to stop in again. I agree that And Then There Were None is one of the best Christie novels. And, Crooked House ranks high on my list too. I definitely didn't see the ending coming. There are a few on your list that I haven't gotten to yet. I really enjoyed The Seven Dials Mystery as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi "oneenglishteacher",

      glad you liked my blog. I have not read the Seven Dials mystery will give it a go soon.

      Delete
  10. I agree with your list though I would switch And Then there Were None and Murder on the Orient Express. I thought the former was just a tad over rated. I know I'm alone in that opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Louise,

      I would agree with you somewhat, sometimes I think the position between Endless night and murder on the orient express should be swapped.

      Delete
  11. Curtain: Poirot's Last Case should definitely be on this list. And one of Miss Marple's A Murder is Announced, The Moving Finger, and Murder in the Vicarage should also be here, but that is a hard choice to make, since the four besides Death on the Nile are so good. Don't get me wrong, Death on the Nile was classic Poirot - but Curtain was just too good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi,

      To be honest I found curtain to be a bit depressing, not that it isn't a great book, but I won't even have it in top 10 :)
      keeping out Marple was very tough. I would put murder is announced at no 6 probably.

      Delete
  12. don't u guys like sleeping murder?its really good....yes of course,then there were none is one of her masterpiece....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Krishna,

      There is only on Miss Marple remaining for me in the entire series "Sleeping murder" but will not read it anytime soon, but once I do and if I feel that its better than any of the novels above I will change the ranking.

      Delete
  13. Sparkling cyanide,murder of roger ackroyd,evil under the sun,moving finger were excellent too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi,

      that's a nice list. to be honest I did not really like Sparkling Cyanide. The others are great though.

      Delete
  14. And Then There Were None ( bad grammar by the way - SHOULD be 'There WAS None.'' to be pedantic!!) is unquestionably in the top five. The narrative technique, the sinister, trapped atmosphere and the utterly ingenious killing method of the final death all combine to make it outstanding in the genre as a whole! The one tiny quibble is - would the murderer REALLY have had such intimate knowledge of the others' histories and how was that acquired, in some of the cases? The screen/stage adaptations consistently change the ending of the book, though not the identity of the killer, and the change robs the book of one of its uniquely stunning elements!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent Analysis, Do you know we have quite a few Hindi movie remakes too? From the top of my head Gumnaam is one. Nothing comes close to the book though.

      Delete
  15. All her books are first class.. I think "Towards zero " is an excellent book, underrated though... Also "Nemesis " in which Miss. Marple was at her best .. Another favourite of mine is " Cat among the Pigeons "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey,

      She is written some of the best detective novels, but I did not like the Nemesis at all, I thought it was really boring. I'm going to take you up on towards zero. Will post a review soon.

      Delete

Featured Post

The Menagerie And Other Byomkesh Bakshi Mysteries by Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay

A few weeks ago I did the review of  Picture Imperfect and other Byomkesh Bakshi Mysteries by Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay  as part of the Glob...